We all have character strengths. When we know what they are, we can use them to powerfully enhance our individual wellbeing and create an environment in the classroom and across the school that enables everyone to flourish.
Frederika Roberts is a speaker, trainer, author and occasional lecturer in Positive and Character Education and Positive Psychology.
In this fascinating conversation, we explore:
- What ‘character strengths’ are and how understanding them can support our wellbeing.
- The core set of 24 character strengths we all share.
- Ways to discover and develop your top 5 character strengths.
- Practical applications for using them with your children or young people in the classroom and with colleagues across the school.
- Research by Barbara Frederickson showing the positive upward spiral that positive emotions can create.
- The importance of creating ‘micro-moments of connection’, especially during Covid 19 restrictions.
- What all 24 character strengths are.
- How we can understand and look more kindly on people that irritate us, by looking through the lens of character strengths.
- How you can introduce this work into your classroom or school, even as an individual.
- And much more!
Frederika is passionate about supporting schools in enabling individuals and communities to flourish and, to this end, has completed a Masters in Applied Positive Psychology and is undertaking a Doctorate in Education to underpin her work in schools.
She is the Founder and Managing Director of Educate to Flourish CIC, a not-for-profit organisation set up to support children’s flourishing during and beyond their years in education.
You can connect with Frederika:
Her book is For Flourishing’s Sake.