In the current challenging circumstances, it can feel overwhelming as a school leader to know what’s ‘the ‘right thing to do’. Guidelines are open to such wide interpretation that it can feel like a legal or employment minefield.
Emma Webster is an Employment Solicitor with over 15 years experience advising employers and employees, without litigation.
In this fascinating conversation with Emma, she explains:
- The number one thing for the Senior Leadership Team to focus on in these challenging times.
- Is ‘wellbeing’ a legal concept?
- How to support a staff member with anxiety. NB. According to the Equality Act, a disability means a physical or a mental condition which has a substantial and long-term impact on your ability to do normal day to day activities.
- Can you guarantee staff safety in your school?
- Interpreting the guidelines.
- Enlisting support from the Unions and Governors.
- What to do if a member of staff is too anxious to work or wants to shield a family member.
- How to approach pregnancy and maternity?
- The difference between a legal obligation and a moral obligation.
- Where do morality and kindness come into play.
- And much more!
Emma is currently a consultant with YESS (having previously been CEO), a charity which provides employment law advice focussed on avoiding litigation and resolving disputes.
You can connect with Emma:
The YESS Law website is https://www.yesslaw.org.uk/
The Maternity Action website is https://maternityaction.org.uk/